For the past 4/5 weeks I’ve been suffering with what I can only describe as palpitations. My heart would flutter, resulting in a weird sensation in my chest. Using my watch, which has a heart sensor, I’d track what was happening – every so often, when I felt the flutter, my watch would indicate that my heart was speeding up for a second or so. It wasn’t normal.
I’d been reading up on the symptoms and was ready to visit my GP to see if he could figure out the cause of the palpitations. Scholarly articles say that most palpitations are harmless, and I didn’t really want to overstretch our NHS unless there was a need to do so.
I racked my brain in a last ditch attempt at figuring out what why it was happening. Was there something different that I’d been doing? or had something been introduced into my home that could cause the feeling of butterflies in my chest? Bingo!
Glade Sense And Spray was introduced into my home around the time my palpitations began. I removed the batteries from the automatic air freshener, and within two days my symptoms have almost disappeared. A coincidence? perhaps not. Here is a safety warning related to the product:
Danger Extremely flammable aerosol. Pressurised container: May burst if heated. Harmful to aquatic life with long lasting effects. If medical advice is needed, have product container or label at hand. Keep out of reach of children. IF IN EYES: Rinse cautiously with water for several minutes. Remove contact lenses, if present and easy to do. Continue rinsing. Protect from sunlight. Do not expose to temperatures exceeding 50°C. Keep away from heat, hot surfaces, sparks, open flames and other ignition sources. No smoking. Do not spray on an open flame or other ignition source. Do not pierce or burn, even after use. Do not breathe spray. Caution. Use only as directed. Use only in well-ventilated areas. People suffering from perfume sensitivity should be cautious when using this product. Air fresheners do not replace good hygiene practices. Contains hexyl salicylate. May produce an allergic reaction. Insert correctly (+/-). Do not re-charge. Do not open battery or dispose in fire. May explode, leak or cause damage. Use AA batteries only. SOLVENT ABUSE CAN KILL INSTANTLYTesco
We put lots of faith in companies to produce safe products, such as air fresheners. I guess they are safe, if we don’t breathe in the spray as suggested by SC Johnson & Son… which does beg the question: why buy if you can’t savour the smell of Clean Linen, etc?